Ajuntament de Sabadell  
 Descobreix Sabadell
Tourism
Historic sites in the city
Historical sights in the outskirts
The museums
Live arts in the city
The fairs
Traditionals fairs
Routes
Acommodation
Tourist brochures
The parks
Sports facilities
Historic sites in the city


The urban heritage of Sabadell is spread out through the streets and squares of the city.

Listed below are the sights and buildings to look out for as you walk through the busiest areas of the city. You'll be able to find them by consulting the map of the historical centre given at the end of this guide.

Hotel Suís (1902)
C. de la Indústria, 59

The Hotel Suís, built by Juli Batllevell is one of the most emblematic Modernist buildings in Sabadell. It has an eye catching façade beautifully decorated with floral designs, colourful mosaics, reliefs, and forged metal window and balcony railings.
Hotel Suís
Codina Steam Mill (1880)
C. de Blasco de Garay, 19
The chimney and two industrial warehouses in Carrer Blasco de Garay have been preserved from this old manufacturing complex. The Codina Steam Mill was one of the examples of the so-called Power and Room System, which consisted of making a profit on the investment involved in building premises equipped with a steam engine by renting out the warehouses with motive force included. Today one of the warehouses which still preserves some of the axles of the old industrial warehouse is the headquarters of the Municipal Housing Office the second one houses our City Hall Education and Youth Services Centre.
Codina Steam Mill
The Lluch Office (1908)
C. de la Indústria, 10
This Modernist building was designed by Juli Batllevell. The most attractive feature of this building is the richly decorated façade where we can appreciate the stucco work, the ceramic mosaics, the glazed tiles and the paintwork.

The Lluch office used to be the textile office where textiles manufactured by the Lluch family were sold and commercialised. In fact, in Carrer Industria, the street where the office was located, there were a number of textile offices and also the odd steam mill as it was ideally located just beside the railway station, the arrival point both for commercial salesmen and for the raw material.

The building has recently been refurbished and is now used as the Sabadell Citizens Information Centre.


Despatx LLuch
The Duran House (XVI century)
C. del Pedregar, 7
The Duran House was built at the end of the XVI century. On the first floor, where the Duran family used to reside, there are the family living quarters. Of special interest is the main hall with its panelled ceilings and murals dating from the XVIII century, the library and the bedrooms with the vivid pictorial decoration on the walls and ceilings. On this floor there is also a raised courtyard and a chapel. On the ground floor which was devoted to activities related to agriculture and to dyeing there is a large entrance hall, an open courtyard with a staircase and a magnificent wine cellar equipped with barrels, a wine press and the vats where the grapes used to be pressed.

The Duran House
Turull House-Factory (1819)
C. del Doctor Puig, 16
A house-factory is the name for the kind of building which is divided into working and living areas. The Turull house-factory was originally built by Pau Turull i Font in 1819, but its present appearance as regards the interior of the building was the result of major reforms undertaken in 1860 on the occasion of a visit from Queen Isabel II; and the outside of the building is fruit of another refurbishment dating from 1865 and carried out by the master builder Josep Lacueva. The austere outside façade contrasts starkly with the splendour of the interior. Nowadays the public rooms of the house can be visited: on the ground floor, there is a hall, the so-called Pompeian Room, the smoking room and the dining room where the original tiles, wall paintings and panelled ceilings have all been preserved. On the first floor visitors will find the sitting rooms, the bedrooms, the study and the chapel with the original decorations and period furniture although some of these areas date more from the refurbishment made to the building in the sixties than from before. It is now home to the city's Museum of Art.


For information about visits contact MAS. Tel. 937257144
Turull House-Factory
Enric Casassas College (1897)
C. de Llobet, 77
This building is the work of the architect, Juli Batllevell and can be considered a Modernist construction but sober in style. The original façade has been preserved and is noteworthy for its brickwork, its decorative frieze tiles and the pointed arched windows with forged metal railings. Also worthy of special attention is the panel of polychrome tiles occupying a prominent position on the corner of the façade which was created by the Sabadell ceramist, Marià Burguès.
Col·legi Enric Casassas
The Font Nova Wash House (1892)
C. de les Paus, 35
The wash house we can see today was restored in 1997. The Modernist façade was preserved and one of the two originally standing wash houses was re-built. Also rebuilt was the original roof which was designed to take advantage of the rain water which is collected and runs directly into a sink.

The original project, dating from the end of the century was designed by the architect Miquel Pascual i Tintorer. Nowadays, guided visits and workshops for schools are provided. Inside the wash house, information panels have been installed to explain the history of the wash houses and how they worked.
For information about visits contact MHS. Tel. 93727855
Safareigs de la Font Nova
The Sant Fèlix Bell Tower (XVIII century)
Raco del Campanar
This Baroque bell tower has an eight-sided floor plan and consists of four different sections, the first three made of stone and the upper one made of fired brick. There are three bells, two of which are liturgical and the third one tells the time; the decoration, executed by the artist, Joan Vila Cinca is particularly beautiful. At the very top of the bell tower there is an angel that acts as a weathercock and two time bells.

Inside, you can visit a small exhibition featuring the building, the bells, and the last clock that made them work, built in 1903. And from the top of the bell tower, visitors can have a splendid view of the city and its surroundings.

For information about visits, contact the MHS. Tel. 937278555
Campanar de Sant Fèlix
The Sant Fèlix Church Apse ( XV century)
Pl. de Sant Roc
The present day Chapel of the Santíssim is situated in the apse of the old Gothic Church, Sant Fèlix beside the bell tower.

The church underwent many alterations and extensions until in 1909, during the Tragic Week, it caught fire and had to be knocked down. The only part which could be saved was the apse in the Gothic nave and the windows; now it is the oldest building in the centre of Sabadell.
Absis de l'església de Sant Fèlix
The Escaiola pottery kilns, Cal Ventura (XVIII century)
Via de Massagué, 5-7
Only the underground part of the group of workshops and pottery kilns built by the Escaiola family on this site have been preserved. The kilns are Moorish in style and were used to fire pottery for everyday use and for auxiliary materials in construction work. From the nineteenth century onwards moulded parts for ornamental architecture were also fired here.

Nowadays the workshop and the two outer kilns are open to the public. Information panels have been installed to explain the history and how the kilns worked.
Visits during shop opening times
For information about visits, contact MHS. Tel. 937278555
Els forns i l'obrador de ceràmica dels Escaiola
Central Market (1927-1930)
Pl. del Mercat, 1
Inaugurated in 1930, this is a noucentist building, designed by the architect Josep Renom. It was recently restored and modernised but the original typical characteristics have been preserved: the spectacular metallic structure that can be seen from the inside the building, and on the outside, the stained glass windows above the entrances and the fruit filled goblets at the top of the stairs are all Mediterranean style decorative elements that run all through Renom's work.

Mercat Central
The Unnim Modernist Heritage (1907-1915)
C. de Gràcia, 17
The offices of the Unnim and the Unnim Charitable Trust are installed in two emblematic buildings of Catalan Modernism which were designed by the architect Jeroni Martorell. They were built between 1907 and 1915 in the centre of the city. The central building has an imposing façade, with sculptures by Josep Llimona and ornate forged metal railings. Inside the building, visitors will be amazed by the Turull Patio crowned with a magnificent skylight of stained glass and the Modernist Hall with three naves separated by pillars and parabolic arches. The building of the former Industrial School of Arts and Crafts, which operated under the patronage of Caixa Sabadell, is more restrained in style and is distinguished by a high cylindrical tower with a cone-shaped roof.
Regular visits on the last Sunday of every month at 12.00. Workshops and group visits to the buildings can be arranged at agreed times. Tel. 696 406 767
Edificis modernistes d'Unnim a Sabadell
The Teatre Principal (1866)
C. de Sant Pau, 6
The Teatre Principal was designed by the architect Francesc Daniel Molina and by Josep Antoni Obradors. It reflects the style of an Italian theatre with a horseshoe stage and hall. It has stalls, two floors of boxes and a third floor. The outside façade is austere but the inside is profusely decorated with paintings on the ceiling, high relief and gilt work and columns. After undergoing recent refurbishment and modernization the theatre now puts on a regular programme of music, drama and dance.

Teatre Principal
Sabadell City Hall (1871)
Pl. de Sant Roc, 1
The present City Hall building was originally built as a school by the Piarist Fathers between 1871 and 1872. Shortly afterwards, it was bought by the City Council who moved into the building in 1885. The most important alterations took place in 1900, when the rear façade, looking on to Dr. Robert Square, was refurbished and the former school playground was turned into a public square.

Recently two metal lampposts, faithful replicas of the street lights that used to illuminate Sant Roc Square at the beginning of the XX century were installed at the entrance of the building.

Ajuntament de Sabadell
Buxeda Vell Steam Mill Engine Room (1906)
C. de Cervantes, 68
The engine room of the old factory and a small part of the plant have been preserved. In this area the exhibition “From steam to electricity” has been set up with different information panels and objects on display. In the machine room, visitors can view the last steam engine installed in the factory, a semi-fixed WOLF (1908). Underground you can visit the chimney, the coal cellar and other sections related to steam engines.

For information about visits, contact MHS. Tel. 93727855
Vapor Buxeda Vell
The Chimneys ( XIXth century)


The intense activity in the textile industry over the last two centuries has left its mark on the urban landscape of Sabadell. The chimneys are part of this heritage surviving after a good number of the factories and steam mills to which they originally belonged were knocked down.
In Sabadell, 45 chimneys in all have been preserved and practically all of them are protected as historical heritage of the city. At the moment, nine of these chimneys have an identification plaque with a brief historical description of the steam mill or factory they were part of. These chimneys which are situated in urbanized areas belonged to the steam mills Escapçat, d'en Palà and Bonaventura Brutau, Cal Molins and Ca l'Estruch, and to the factories of Francesc Sampere and brothers, Fitisa and Garriga Germans. The tallest chimney of those mentioned above is the Ca l'Estruch chimney which is 43.5 metres high.

For information about visits, contact MHS. Tel. 937278555
Les xemeneies
The Piarist School (1885) and Sant Agustí Church (1932)
C. de l'Escola Pia, 80
The school building, designed by the architect Miquel Pascual i Tintorer, was opened in 1885. The building still preserves its original structure. Of particular interest are the decorative metal railings on the main gate opening on to Carrer Escola Pia (1908) and the enamelled tile wainscoting on the stairwell and the corridor.

Sant Agustí Church was inaugurated in 1932, and was designed by Bernardí Martorell. The walls of the church are decorated with paintings by Joan Parés and paintings, relief work and sculptures by Fàbregas, Rius and Juvanteny. The stained glass windows were produced by the Barcelona firm, Granell.
Col·legi Escola Pia
The Creu Alta Wash Houses (1913)
C. del Papa Pius XI, 165
The old wash house for the Creu Alta district in Sabadell was the work of the architect Josep Renom and is an important example of industrial architecture that adopted the principles of Modernism. It is an extremely hermetic building, 611 square metres in size with a roof with sloping gutters to catch the water and channel it into the interior of the building.
The outside walls are made of brick covered in stucco mortar and include geometrical graffiti spirals, stucco work on the façade and panels above the doors.
It has housed the Creu Alta library since 2006.
Safareigs de la Creu Alta
Cal Balsach (1942-1948)
Crta. de Prats de LLuçanès, 2
The Fills de Pere Balsach factory was built between 1942 and 1948 on the piece of ground situated on the road, carretera de Prats de Lluçanès, where the old velodrome used to be. Cal Balsach became one of the biggest and most important textile factories specialising in woollen material for ladies in the 50s. The economic crisis in the 70s led to the closure of the factory.
The only alteration work made to the building was the refurbishment of the central part of the old factory, protecting the original structure of the building in order to house the new Creu Alta civic and sports centre. The total floor area measures 1,452 square metres.
Cal Balsach
Water Tower (1918)
Pl. de la Torre de l'Aigua
This is a raised water cistern constructed by the architect Lluís Homs, in order to supply water to the city at the beginning of the XX century. Made of concrete, this spectacular structure of pillars and spiral staircase has become a city landmark. Inside the building, information panels have been installed with descriptions of the history of the Water Tower and how it used to work. It stopped operating in 1967.
For information about visits, contact the MHS. Tel. 93 727 85 55

Torre de l'Aigua
Can Rull Country House ( XV century)
Av. de Lluís Companys, 81
The Can Rull country house is one of the historical, patrimonial buildings recovered by the City Council to be converted into a new facility for the city. The building preserves the original rural structure typical of a country house which has undergone alterations over the years espcecially those linked to the important wine growing industry of the XVII, XVIII and XIX centuries.
The cellars and the wine presses have been preserved as well as other elements. In the main hall on the ceiling there is an impressive collection of « socarrats », scorched ceramic work decorated with geometrical and calligraphic patterns.
Masia de Can Rull
Can Feu Castle (XIX-XX century)
C. de Colòmbia, 21
On the exact spot where Can Feu Castle now stands, there used to be a country house and farm dating from the High Middle Ages, the IX and X centuries, linked to the Sobarber family.

In the XII century the country house became a fortified house in the centre of stretch of land which got smaller and smaller due to pious donations made which first by the Sobarber family and then by the Togores family mainly to the monasteries.

At some point during the XVI century there was a bad fire which seriously damaged the main building and for this reason this building has, since then, also been known as the Burnt Tower.

In the last quarter of the XVII century Pau de Feu i Soler bought the property and at that moment established it as a farm.

In the XVIII century, Can Feu was the logisitics centre of numerous properties belonging to the Feu family, for whom the country house became a place for rest and entertainment.

At the end of the XIX century, Josep Nicolau, last of the Olzina family from Riu-sec and descendent of the Feus, constructed the building that has reached to this day.

In 2007 the Can Feu Castle was recovered for the city and now belongs to the City Council. The building will be restored and a future urban park of 63 hectares will be created around it.
Castell de Can Feu