Home

  • Site Map
  • Contact us

Council of Sabadell

The City

The City of Sabadell

You are in: The City of Sabadell  >  The City  > Heritage

The City of Sabadell
History of Sabadell
Coat of arms
Sabadell´s Heritage
Sabadell: 125 years
Images of the city
Sabadell in 4 figures
Heritage
Low Middle Ages
Abside de l'église de Sant Fèlix
Apse of the church of Sant Fèlix ( 15th C.), now chapel of the Santísimo.
In the 15th century, on the site where the church of Sant Fèlix currently stands, was the chapel of Sant Salvador. During that century the chapel was demolished, as it was very small, and a larger one was built to which the altars from the chapel of Sant Feliu d'Arraona (now Sant Nicolau) could be transferred. Of this church, which was consecrated in 1488, only the apse remains, with the four stained-glass windows overlooking Calle Església. It houses the so-called chapel of the Santísimo.
Modern Era
The Modern Era, from the 16th to the 18th centuries, left its mark on the city of Sabadell, architectural and industrial elements, and the history of Sabadell during these centuries can be pieced together from their walls.
Some of the most important are the Durán House, the Sant Oleguer Well andthe Sant Félix Belltower, not forgetting the L'Escaiola pottery kilns, theCan Rull farmhouse, the group of houses in Calle Sant Antoni and the housein Calle Borriana, which are some of the few that remain from the 18thcentury.
The Durán House ( 16th C.)
The Duran House was built between the years 1578 and 1606. It has the features of a manor house and, at the same time, of agricultural production It was built on the initiative of Feliu Duran.
The constructive and pictorial decoration and the private chapel, with a Renaissance reredos presiding over the altar, are outstanding. It is being refurbished and the plan is to use it as a facility for residents.
The Duran House
Belltower of Sant Fèlix ( 18th C.)
The belltower of Sant Fèlix was built in 1738, beside the church which had been built in the 15th century. The belltower is in Baroque style with an octagonal floor plan and four bodies, the first three of stone and the final one of fired-earth brick. Visiting the belltower, you can see the "comunidor" - a room used for asking protection from storms - the belfry, the roof terrace and the clock room.
Belltower of Sant Fèlix
19th century
The 19th century has a much greater presence in the city streets. The marks of the architecture, art and industry of these years is clear in many of Sabadell's buildings.
Machine Room
Old Buxeda Steam Mill Machine Room (1853)
The Old Buxeda Steam Mill was built between the years 1852 and 1854, on the initiative of the brothers Miquel and Domènec Buxeda. The steam mill brought together the whole wool production process, from the entry of wool into the factory until the dispatch of the finished cloth. It was the first industrial establishment in the city to have electric lighting supplied by its own steam engine in 1879.
Nowadays, the Old Buxeda Steam Mill is the home of the Wool Textile Industry Museum. textile de la laine.
Antoni Casanovas House
Antoni Casanovas House (History Museum) (1859)
In 1859, the manufacturer and Mayor of Sabadell Antoni Casanovas ordered this mansion to be built. The building, by the architect Josep Antoni Obradors, represents a mixed construction made up of a residential body and an industrial part.
Since 1971, it has been the History Museum.
Pere Quart Manor House
Voltes de l'Oliver (Pere Quart Mansion) (1862)
Popularly known as Voltes de l'Oliver, this mansion in the Rambla was built by the family of the writer Joan Oliver (Pere Quart) in 1865. After the Civil War, the building was requisitioned by the Pro-Franco Movement and turned into the headquarters of the Falange and the OJE. With the transition to democracy, the building passed to the City Council and now houses the Youth Information Service and the Linguistic Standardisation Consortium, as well as exhibition rooms, an auditorium and a function room, among other services.
Sabadell City Council
Sabadell City Hall (1872)
The City Hall building was constructed as a school between 1871 and 1872 by the Piarist Fathers. In 1880, the City Council acquired the building and, in 1885, after the alteration work, the council installed itself in it. The most important alteration was in 1900, when the rear façade (the one giving on to Plaza Dr. Robert) was remade and the old school playground was turned into a public square.
Presiding over the entrance to the City Hall are two iron lamps, faithful replicas of the ones that used to light Plaza de Sant Roc at the beginning of the century.
Other items are: the Turull House-Factory(1812), the Church of the Pía School (1832), the Principal Theatre (1863), the Manufacturers' Guild (1883), the church of the Purísima (1885), the Railway Station (1889), the Gorina Tower (1889), the Ponsà House(1891), the laundries at the Font Nova (1892) and the Colegio Enric Casassas ((1897).
20th century
This century is also very important in terms of heritage. We will highlight some of the most significant buildings.
Lluch Office (1908)
The building, built in 1908, is the work of the architecture Juli Batllevell, who was assistant to Antoni Gaudí. In Modernist style and with a façade decorated with large stone roses by way of capitals, the Lluch Office is being refurbished to turn it into a new facility in the centre of the city.
Lluch Office
Water Tower (1918)
The population growth of the second decade of the 20th century and the problems with water supply led to the building of a tower where the water extracted from the Ripoll wells could be accumulated. Construction of the tower was completed in 1918, and it came into operation in 1922. It was carried out according to a plan by Lluís Homs Moncusí and under the site management of the municipal architect Josep Renom. This tower ceased to operate in 1967 and has become the symbol identifying the city.
Water Tower
Central Market
Building work on the Central Market began in 1928 and finished in 1930. Work of the architect Josep Renom, in its time the building was considered a model municipal market.
Construction of the Central Market
La Farándula Municipal Theatre (1956)
The building of the La Farándula Theatre in Sabadell in 1956 was possible thanks to a popular subscription campaign and the support of a group called Youth of La Faràndula. Work of the architect Guillem Arís, La Farándula met the need for a new theatre after the Alcázar became a cinema. In 1972 it came into municipal ownership.
La Farándula Municipal Theatre
Other items are: the Hotel Suís (1902), the Taulé House (1904), Conditioning and Docks (1907), the Caixa de Sabadell Building (1915) and the Caixa de Sabadell Benevolent Work Building (1910).
Can Deu Farmhouse
Farmhouses
Sabadell's heritage includes a large number of farmhouses. Here we highlight some of them, although other important ones include: Ca n'Ustrell ( 14th C.), Can Vilar, Ca n'Argelaguet and Can Moragues.

Arnau Castle
Farmhouse known by the name of Berardo Tower. Probably built between the 13th and 14th centuries. The outstanding feature is the square defence tower almost seventeen metres high.

Can Deu Farmhouse ( 17th C.)
The origins of the farmhouse are unknown, although the first dated documentation of it is from the beginning of the 17th century. The farmhouse, which was acquired by the Caixa d'Estalvis de Sabadell in 1964, now houses the Museum of Agricultural Implements.

Can Feu Castle
Work to build this castle began in 1816. It is a rectangular mansion flanked by three towers and with a five-floor central tower with windows imitating the Gothic style and loopholes. It is privately owned.
Religious buildings
Church of Sant Vicenç de Jonqueres
The Sant Vicenç de Jonqueres site consists of the church, the rectory and the cemetery wall. Its construction cannot be dated with certainty, but an analysis of the structure offers a chronology broken down into several stages. But, analysis of the structure offers a chronology broken down into variousstages. Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque elements are preserved. In 1992, the site, which had greatly deteriorated, was restored and its surroundings were adapted.
Church of Sant Vicenç de Jonqueres
Church of Sant Julià d'Altura
The church of Sant Julià d'Altura was a rural parish church within the old boundaries of Terrassa until 1904. Since then, the church has remained within the city of Sabadell. The heritage site is formed by the church, the current rectory building and the cemetery wall. In 1990, a dig began which discovered a necropolis dating from the 11th to the 18th century.
Church of Sant Julià d'Altura
Church of Sant Pau de Riusec
Sant Pau de Riusec is witness to a long tradition of settlements in this place. The first remains are from the 1st century BC and correspond to the structures of a Roman villa. The place Riu-sec is mentioned in documents from the year 984 onwards, but it is not until 1033 that reference is made to the church. The building has undergone successive extensions, the most noteworthy being those of the 12th and 18th centuries.
Church of Sant Pau de Riusec
Other important religious buildings are: the Sanctuary of La Salut (1882-1907), the Church of Sant Julià d'Altura and the Togores Hermitage.
Cemetery
Cemetery of Sant Nicolau
Cemetery of Sant Nicolau (1864)
In the middle of the 19th century, the poor condition of the consecrated ground at Taulí led to the cemetery being moved to its current site on the other side of the River Ripoll and outside the population centre. It was opened in 1864. The church dates from 1891 and is the work of the architect Miquel Pascual i Tintorer. In the cemetery of Sant Nicolau there are many monumental tombs of great architectural and artistic interest.
City routes
Transportation
Hotels in Sabadell
Photographic tour
Festivals and fairs